The Ultimate Chick Flick Contest



So, this really awesome thing happened last week. I received 3rd place in the Storymakers First Chapter contest. Remember that? Well, as part of my prize, I received a nifty $15 gift card to the Megaplex Theatres. Very fun! But wait - there's just one problem. The only Megaplex Theatres are in Utah. Hmm . . . since we live in Kansas that's a mighty long trip to watch a movie.

Tonight I was thinking, "What am I going to do with this gift card?" And it hit me like a raging migraine - a contest!

But not just any old contest. Oh no! A Chick Flick contest. But wait, there's more . . .

Not only is it a quest to find the ultimate Chick Flick, but my hubby - the chick flick tolerater, the "I'd rather sleep while you watch the movie" guy - is going to be the judge!

Am I brilliant or what?

So, here's the rules. Please be sure to read and follow them!

1. You must live in Utah if you want to use this gift card. Or know someone who lives in Utah you want to give it to.

2. No Rated R Movies! G, PG, and PG-13 only.

3. To nominate a movie, please leave a comment on this blog with the title and year the movie came out (for example, if you wanted to nominate Sabrina - I would need the year to know which movie version you are nominating). Also, each movie nominated must be available at a local movie rental center. If we can't find it, we can't watch it. In such case, it will be disqualified. All nominations must be received by midnight on Saturday, April 12th, 2008.

4. Each person may nominate up to three movies.

5. On April 15th, I will post a poll with all the movie nominations. This is your chance to vote for the ultimate chick flick. (Hello again - my hubby just pointed out this is tax day! Ha!)

6. When the poll closes, my hubby will watch the top three movies. Then hand down the judgment of which flick was the best.

7. The winner will be announced no later than May 1st (possibly earlier depending on how long it takes my hubby to watch the movies). The winner will be contacted via email and must reply within three days. The winning movie & winner's blog id will be announced on this blog. The gift card will be snail mailed to the winner.

PLEASE NOTE: In the event that a chick flick is nominated more than once (hello, I'm totally sure that's going to happen!), I will keep a list of who nominated each movie. If a movie wins that was nominated by more than one person, all of those names will go into a hat & our one year old will choose the winner.

For your information, the Megaplex Theatres are at the following locations - The District, Jordan Commons, The Junction, The Gateway, and Thanksgiving Point.

Happy nominating, everyone!

Would you like to comment?

Annette Lyon said...

Congrats on your win! And what a terrific idea!

I'll have to think hard about this one before I respond with my choices . . .

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Ooh, Annette - I can't wait to see what you come up with! And thank you for the congrats.

Anonymous said...

Danyelle:

I really, really, really want to win the megaplex gift card. I need a girls night out desperately. I nominate My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Johanna Wilkin

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Johanna

I loved that movie too! (I have a feeling I'm going to be saying that a lot - I love chick flicks!) I totally understand about needing a girl's night out. I'll cross my fingers for you!

themeese2 said...

That's a no-brainer for me. I nominate "Hitch" with Will Smith. It was absolutely hysterical! The only thing that bothered me is that the name of one of the major characters is an allergy medicine. I am sure John will dock points for that, but I nominate it anyway!

Kim

themeese2 said...

P.S. It came out in 2005.

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Hitch was so funny! I know John didn't see this one. I specifically remember that he went to bed while I watched it on demand. :) Thanks, Kim!

Amy said...

Ok Danyelle,

Here are my three recommendations:
Twelfth Night 1996 w/Helena Bonham Carter
Miss Potter 2006 w/ Renee Zellweger
Bride and Prejudice 2005 w/ Aishwarya Rai

Enjoy. Amy

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Amy -

Got it! You know, the only one I've seen of those it Bride and Prejudice. OK, now I have to ask - which Amy are you . . . Amy D, Amy M, or another Amy? :) Thanks!

Amy said...

Danyelle,

I just sent an email to you, your comment makes me laugh at the email now, this is Amy Marble, sorry about the no last name.

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Amy,

No prob! Just wanted to be sure to give the right person credit! Have a great day and good luck!

G. Parker said...

Oh this is great! I have such a list...but I'll give you my favorites...sigh.

1. Walk in the Clouds - Keanu Reeves I think it's 1991 or so...

2. Mirror has Two Faces - Barbara Streisand. (not sure of year)

3. Pride and Prejudice - the old one is best, thought the new one is excellent...so probably the new one with Kiera Knightly.

Oh...Now I have to see what the winner is!! Great blog, by the way...

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Gaynell -

Those are all excellent choices! This is exactly why I'm not judging. There's no way I could narrow it down! I love all these movies! :) Thanks for sending in your nominations.

Erin said...

Hello, this sounds like fun. I nominate Ever After, the Holiday and I'll write later when I think of another one.

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Erin,

Even more good movies! Thanks for sending them in. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Fun contest :)..
I agree with g. parker on the P&P--A&E's 1995 version is the best, but I won't nominate that one because with 5 hours of viewing your husband will probably dock points just for forcing him into that marathon.
So I will give you three of my favorites too:
1.'Just Like Heaven' with Reese Witherspoon (2005).
2. 'While You Were Sleeping' with Sandra Bullock (1995)
3. 'The Lake House'--Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock (2006) which is the ultimate 'chick flick' since most ladies I know liked it, and most men who watched it didn't understand it at all... :)

Danyelle Ferguson said...

De

Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth is one of my absolute favorites. I watch it at least two or three times a year. Sometimes two or three times a month - usually when I have morning sickness and can't get out of bed!

Thanks for the nominations. Good luck!

Unknown said...

All you have to do is look at the only picture on my blog to see what I think about Colin Firth and Pride and Prejudice. :) My husband will watch it with me and he pretends to not like it...but he sticks with it the whole time. So I'm fairly certain he is just trying to hold onto a thread of masculinity when he tries not to let me know how much he enjoys Mr. Collins' bumblings. (And it is hard to hide his liking when we can talk about going to the beach when we visit California by popping off with 'a little sea bathing would set me up for life.')

Danyelle Ferguson said...

De -

I have seen the pic on your blog and love it. Where did you find it? I love the drawing of Pemberly (sp?) in the background.

Anonymous said...

Danyelle!
Love your blog. I'll list it on mine. www.wordstimeswords.blogspot.com. Congrats on your recent successes. One of these years I'll go with you.

My three nominees

1. Sense and Sensibility
2. Ever After
3. The Notebook

Unknown said...

I actually found the photos on the internet and photoshopped them that way...the Pemberly photo was someone's photo they took while on vacation there, and the one with Mr. Darcy actually has Lizzy Bennett too, but I didn't want her in the picture. :) I made it into a note pad to give to a neighbor of mine who is the biggest Colin Firth fan I've ever met in my whole life.

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Ellen -

It's great to hear from you! I'll have to click on over to your blog. I haven't been there recently. The last time I stopped by, you had all these awesome family activities listed.

Plan to come with me to the Storymakers conference next year! You would love it!

BTW - thanks for the nominations! I assume you mean the Sense & Sensibility with Emma Thompson in it.

Danyelle Ferguson said...

De -

That's really neat. Would you mind emailing me a copy? I just may make it my new desktop! :)

Unknown said...

How many entries can I have? I forgot about 'Music & Lyrics'...that is a cute show. I will stop thinking about all the chick flick movies I like now or you'll end up with 152 comments--all from me. :)

Danyelle Ferguson said...

De -

You can only have three entries. Sorry! I would have a hard time choosing only three movies, too. :)

Danyelle

stephanie said...

Hi Danielle, this is an AWESOME contest. And congrats on winning too!
Hmmm, so does Stardust count (2007)? If so, that's my number one choice.
Then...Northanger Abbey 2007 (BBC)
And finally, let's see, what have I seen lately? 'Scarlet Pimpernel' with Jane Seymour (1982). Hopefully, those work as chick flicks. If not, tell me and I'll come up with different nominations.
Lata, Stephanie Fowers (just in case my sign in, doesn't have all my info)

Jenn said...

Congratulations again on your win! That is so awesome!

Now, for my nominations... drum roll please... :)

1 - Love Story, 1970
2 - Somewhere in Time, 1980
3 - You've Got Mail, 1998

With that said, I LOVE Just Like Heaven and Ever After. Two of my favorite movies of all time. If one of them wins, I'll kick myself in the shorts. ;) But I was trying to be original, and it's so hard to choose, so, anyway, those are my picks.

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Stephanie

The only one I recognize from your list is the Scarlet Pimpernel, which I love. I'll have to check out the other two. Especially since you are the queen of chick lit books. I assume your taste in chick flicks is as good as the plots you come up with for your books! Good luck with the contest!

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Jennifer -

Thanks on the congrats! Good choices for your nominations. I've been wanting to get You've Got Mail on DVD ever since our blasted VCR finally died. Maybe this will be a good enough excuse for me to run out and buy it! ;-) Good luck!

Jenn said...

So, on Stephanie's recommendation, we rented Stardust and watched it over the last two nights. Hello, that is the best movie! It's totally unfair, though. It's not what I would think of as a chick flick. There's too much amazing action. John is going to vote for that one hand's down. Can I change my nomination to Stardust? :D

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Jennifer

You are so funny. John only gets to watch the three movies that get the most votes on the poll. He's not going to watch all of them. So I'd suggest waiting to see which movies make it to the top three. Right now we are still taking nominations for movies.

Danyelle

Danyelle Ferguson said...

I am leaving this nomination for my friend Sandy Gockley. She emailed her nominations to me cause she hasn't figured out leaving comments on blogs yet. :) Her nominations:

Steel Magnolias
Driving Miss Daisy
Fried Green Tomatoes.

Thanks, Sandy!

stephanie said...

Ha ha, okay, if 'Stardust' doesn't count, then I choose 'Far and Away'(1992). Of course, I saw that in the nineties, so it might not be as good as I remembered...but I LOVED that too!

themeese2 said...

I still have one nomination left! I am going to put up one no one has mentioned yet. 1995's "While You Were Sleeping" with Sandra Bullock. Great stuff! I think she's terrific.

This is not an official nomination, as it is a) too long and b) I'm out of nominations now, but I simply MUST mention "Anne of Green Gables." Hello people...GILBERT!!

Stephanie said...

Hi Danyelle!
This is fun!
1. Anne of Green Gables
2. Little Women (w/Wynona Ryder)
3. Chicken Run (since it's full of CHICKS!!!!) LOL =)
~Stephanie Taylor

Tristi Pinkston said...

So many good movies have been mentioned. Allow me to chime in with my deep abiding love for "Becoming Jane," "Sense and Sensibility," and "The Holiday."

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Ladies - You are awesome! Look at all these fun Chick Flicks!

Kim - I added Anne to your list, too. I double checked, but only found Hitch and While You Were Sleeping. And a agree "Gilbert"! He was the man I dreamed of as my boyfriend, husband, ever since the age of ten! He still makes my knees go weak. I hope I pass that on to MJ!

Stephanie F - do you want to replace Stardust? I don't know why it wouldn't count.

Stephanie T & Tristi - Thank you for you nominations!

Good luck, everyone!

Anonymous said...

Hey!

I've been thinking about this, and despite my terrible memory, I've come up with my choices... oh there are so many out there! A night at the movies would be fun! :)

My Favorite has to be Miss Potter. Next would be Maid in Matthaten and last I choose Message in a bottle.

Good Luck Everyone!

:) Robin T. :)

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Robin

Great choices! Good luck!

stephanie said...

Oh hi! Okay, if Stardust counts. I definitely want to keep it!
Steph F

Danyelle Ferguson said...

No problem, Stephanie!